honors-and-memorials

Rose Family, The

Rose-Family
The Rose Family

The above photo taken in 1993 shows seven of the eleven children of W.P. Rose. From left to right they are- Elbert Cecil, Irma, Purcell, Hubert, Mozelle, Worth, and Billy. W.P. Rose was the fourth generation of Roses in the area. His great-grandfather was Theophilus Rose (born in 1762). This common family name has Biblical origins, Theophilus was a gentile convert to Christianity and a companion of Luke the Gospel writer. In 1784, the families of Benjamin, James, John, and William Rose with their unmarried brother Theophilus, and a slave called Uncle Tom, immigrated into Eastern North Carolina. Theophilus settled in Dobbs County, which formerly encompassed much of modern-day Lenoir, Wayne, and Johnston Counties. On July 30, 1789 Theophilus married Christiana, believed to be the daughter of John Barnes and Mary Polly Nusom. They lived on the present day Powell Hooks Road south of Lucama, North Carolina in Wilson County.
His son Theophilus,Jr. married Patience Lamm daughter of Abaham and Hannah Lamm of Old Fields Township, Nash County. They lived in Lowell Mills Township in Johnston County, near Kenly, North Carolina.

Henry Clay Rose, youngest son of Theophilus, Jr. and Patience, married Sarah Jane Fulghum the daughter of Rufus and Smithie Fulghum. Henry Clay inherited his farm and later added to it his sister's farm. Henry Clay was North Carolina Farmer of the year in 1909, Master of Kenly Masonic Lodge No. 257, established Hickory Cross School, Hickory Cross Store, Rose Pond, and Rose Cemetery among other things.

W. P. Rose, seventh child of Henry Clay and Sarah Rose, married Florence Parrish. They had two children, Alma and Ora. After Florence's death he married Etta Emma Peedin daughter of Handy Festus and Jeanette Peedin. Together they had nine children, seven of which are shown in this 1993 family reunion photo at the home Billy Rose near Kenly. Information by Purcell E. Rose, Fayetteville,NC.

Go to top