honors-and-memorials

Godwin, Eula

Eula E. Godwin
In Honor of
EULA E. GODWIN
We love those who help us grow.

 

Two generations of Johnston County children began their school careers in the classroom of Miss Godwin, an educator who instilled in her young students high standards of conduct, a solid grounding in literacy, and a respect for the value of education.


Eula E. Godwin was born the ninth of ten children to Bertie Scott Godwin (died 1965) and Charlie K Godwin (died 1934) in the farming community near Center Ridge Presbyterian Church and Glendale School. Growing up, the seven sons and three daughters helped their parents to work the family farm.


Eula left the homestead in 1945 to attend Montreal Presbyterian College, where she studied until 1947. She then entered Flora Macdonald Presbyterian College in Red Springs, North Carolina, and graduated with a degree in elementary education in 1950. After a one-year teaching appointment in Sampson County (1950-1951), Eula taught at the Council of Churches Day School in Wilson (1951-1953).


In 1953, she entered a classroom that would be hers for thirty-three years. From 1953 until 1986, Eula taught mainly first grade, occasionally second, at Glendale, known as Glendale High School until 1965, when it became Glendale-Chapel Elementary School. A member of the North Carolina Education Association and the National Education Association, Eula devoted her career to education. She made sure those whose first school years were entrusted to her understood the basics of reading, writing, mathematics, and respect for learning as well as for other human beings.


Another place enriched by Eula Godwin's knowledge and integrity is Center Ridge Presbyterian Church. She has served there as a Sunday School and Bible School teacher for many years and has been an Elder since 1965. At the church and within her large extended family, Eula's love and care provide a sustaining note of grace.


Her willing spirit and able mind have nurtured many lucky enough to have crossed her path.


This page was donated by her nieces and nephews.

Go to top